Phi Alpha began as a local sorority in 1945 at East Tennessee State University, becoming the third sorority to be organized on campus. There were thirteen original members whose initial purpose was to establish lasting friendship on campus. In 1954, Phi Alpha petitioned to become a chapter of Alpha Omicron Pi, and on April 16, 1955, they did just that. The new purpose of the chapter was to advance friendship, scholarship, and service on campus. Sadly, the 1970’s saw a drastic decrease in girl’s interested in rush which led the alumni chapter to request the chapter be closed in 1978. However, Phi Alpha has been recolonized as of September 25, 2016. We have continued Phi Alpha's original mission of friendship, scholarship, and campus participation.